Monday, March 31, 2008

a midlife metamorphosis...




tech fan photo courtesy of dawgpost.com via georgia sports blog....


I’ve had a change of heart.

Call it a midlife crisis or middle age metamorphosis but I feel a transformation taking place in my body.
My formerly Red & Black blood has been replaced with a transfusion of gold and white. It began with the heartbreak of Georgia’s shellacking of Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl and coursed stronger when Georgia Tech announced the hiring of Paul Johnson with his brilliant offensive mind.

Then, Georgia finished the season in the top three in all the major polls. Tech’s pole is located at the Pink Pony. So are its cute coeds.

Game day has become a chore in Athens. Parking is at premium. Many of the prime tailgating spots have been sold to the highest bidder and God forbid you should step on a sidewalk with an adult beverage in hand.

Meanwhile, on the flats, you park where you please - for a fee - and step over the drunken homeless folks who litter the sidewalk. Kickoff time is whenever you can get there - a plus for those of us with hectic schedules.

I have always had a thing for those short-sleeved dress shirts with the ink stained plastic pocket protector and clip-on tie so I took all my red Polos and my Blackout hoodie to the landfill.

Larry Munson is just too sedate with the play-by-play so I am going with the live wire that is Wes Durham.

My alma mater - Montgomery County High School - ran the wishbone offense back in the early 1970s. Now that the legendary Chan Gailey has strolled into the sunset with his stellar 44-32 record, Johnson is bringing the wishbone back to college football where it has not seen the Sun since J.C. Watts called the shots at Oklahoma.

Sure, Gailey was 0-6 against Georgia but that was just a blip on the radar. Tech Total People overlook that math, preferring to concentrate on complex algorithms that allow for bridges to fall into rivers.

That is the higher plane to which I shall aspire.

I just don’t think Matthew Stafford, Knowshon Moreno and Caleb King can hang with Calvin Booker and Jonathan Dwyer this fall. Truth be known, I want to paint my chest, don that ultra cool wig and cavort in the end zone at Grant Field like the lumbering Yellow Fellow with Keith Richards’ penchant for partying and expense account.

Who cares about hosting Tennessee, Georgia-Florida weekend in Jacksonville, the SEC title game and a possible shot at the national championship when your home schedule includes key, intersectional match-ups with Jacksonville State and Gardner-Webb.

Now that I’ve made up my mind to go with the new blood flow, I have acquired strange new abilities.

I broke down and completely repaired the faulty pencil sharpener at the office.

I discovered a plethora of Star Trek ringtones for my cell phone.

I have the strange desire to have a dermatologist restore pimples to my face in time for the next tickle pile.

And, I have put in for a spot on the overnight shift at 7-11 where I can log into headquarters in Sri Lanka and do IBM systems support between robberies and carjackings
.
If I get that gig, ya’ll can audition for this one.

April Fool!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a Tech fan and recently purchased spirits at a local bottle shop where I found the owner wearing a UGA hat. I, jokingly, told him he needed to get a new hat and his response was that most of his customers are drunken bulldogs.

Anonymous said...

Did you have a point? Or is that dry tech humor?

Anonymous said...

Dry is an understatement. The joke well must be empty.

Anonymous said...

The bridge comment was a little over the top.

Anonymous said...

Truth Hurts Huh? 10:11...

Anonymous said...

Dear Walter and the rest of the mutt nation,
I can't wait to the first game of the season when your dreams of another national championship are once again smashed. For the past 27 years you've been thinking you were good enough to win another natioal chimpionship, but it never happened. While you were all dreaming, GSU won 6 national Championships. Two of them under GT coach Paul Johnson and its only a matter of time before he brings one to Tech. So keep on dreaming, I'm sure this year has got to be your year.

Aug. 30, 2008
Georgia Southern 30 Final
Mutts 27

Anonymous said...

2:22 When the Mutt Nation makes it 8 in a row on your sorry ass, then what? First it was Reggie, remember Reggie? you know..the one that could'nt count 1,2,3,4.
Then it was Chan's Fault. Agreed...Johnson is a step in right direction for the "joke near coke" but surley your not as delusional as you sound and think he is going to step in and magically turn Tech into a contender...Puh-leese! see you in the fall bug...8 is GREAT!!

mdr1013 said...

I love when Teck people try to talk smack on UGA blogs.

Tell you what, as soon as you find a sport you can beat us at, we'll start to give a damn about you.

Deal?

mdr1013 said...

Also, try and win your little weak sister conference before you start screaming about national championships.

7 and counting, bitches........

Still not getting old.

Anonymous said...

I'm just saying that you mutts act like you should win a national championship every year since 1980. That was almost 30 years ago. Hershel is probally a great grandfather by now.
At least Tech fans aren't so arregant that we think we should win a championship every year.

Georgia Southern 30
Mutts 27

Anonymous said...

and at least we can actually spell arrogant...

Anonymous said...

to tht fag of a tech fan
u say he won 6 National championships pretty good...
one problem..its was DIVISON II wow u think even reggie coulda counted tht high

we have a date with 8

Anonymous said...

Hey pal, you are a piece of shit. Ugag will not even make the SEC title game, much less the national championship.

You bring up King in this article when he has not even played a down in college football? Typical. That does not do justice to K. Moron to even allude to the assumption that King is on par with Moron.

Also, Dipshit, Booker will not be our QB this year. I will be laughing when all your dreams of a national championship come crashing down even before the mid-way point in the season.

Anonymous said...

Typical tech response. Instead of hoping for a miracle to drag their program out of the gutter and hoping for your team's success, you hope for other's failures. You hate us bc we are good. Why don't you worry about your team being better instead of dragging others down into your gutter. You're as bad as the clintons.

Anonymous said...

to the dip shit mutt fan (anon 6:34),
I said he won 2 out of the 6 national championship titles at southern. Also, GSU is not a Div II, it a Division I-AA.
Name me any school in history that has had the success GSU has had, Div. I- Div III. In less than 20 yrs GSU had won 6 national championships and played in 9 title games. Hell Georgia won a national championship over 3 decades ago and they talk like it was yesterday.

Dogboy said...

Tech fans should save their breath. 30 years ago one player made Georgia a contender and one fluke play turned an average coach into a legend. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Anonymous said...

Tech Fans Live for UGA to lose, Only because they don't have UGA's Success, talent, fan base or class.

as previously stated Johnson is a step in the right direction-even though he is full of crap. "Tech was the only school he'd leave Navy for" huh...ha...ha.

Tech belongs to UGA. sort of like your own personal gimp. let 'em outta the cage, slap him around, then stuff his ass back on the shelf for another year.

So Bugs go ahead and pull for UF, UT, BAMA- So sad, you have to celebrate others victories...because you can't get your own! see you in the fall.....

ROME

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to the days that you would root for tech or Georgia as long as they were not playing each other. Come on People its supposed to go in order

Team of choice

State

Conference

Of Course state and conference can be switched.

Anonymous said...

Who the hell cares about foot ball? You all suck!

Anonymous said...

All this animosity between Dawgs and Jackets. The rivalry is known as "Clean, Old-Fashioned, Hate." All I see here is hate. Can we at least keep it clean and civil folks?

Maybe we can actually pull for both teams to win until that last regular season game in November when we'll cheer for our respective teams. I'd love to see both teams in the top 25, or top 10 down the road, come the game. I'd love to see the game be one of national interest again because both teams are highly ranked, not just because it's a deep rooted rivalry game.

Spend a few years out West in WAC country like I did while on active duty. You'll hear the WAC fans talk about how great their teams are. Then you'll find yourself on common ground with any other Southern football fan nearby in telling the WAC fans what real football is about.

UGA and GT are two of the great programs in the history of Southern Football. Continued national prominence for the Dawgs and a return to it for the Jackets would benefit both programs.

I wish Tech and Coach Johnson all the best.

GO DAWGS!

Anonymous said...

anon 11:25,
I know, I'm sorry. These damn inbred mutts just make me mad. I'll try to do better.

Anonymous said...

How many of you even went to the college you are routing for. Something tells me not many.

Anonymous said...

amen!

Anonymous said...

maybe not...but I can spell "rooting"...