Monday, October 08, 2007

a great man has fallen...


from the 10.9.07 print and online editions of the herald-gazette:

above: dewaine bell (right) with general protecht chairman wusheng chen in may, 2007.


By Walter Geiger
Some years ago I was photographing a football game at a crumbling middle Georgia high school football stadium where the Lamar County Trojans were getting waxed on the road.
I grew tired of the debacle on the field, shut down my Nikon and climbed into the nearly empty stands. I sat down next to Dewaine Bell and vented my frustration with the poor athletic performance I was witnessing.
Dewaine had injured his leg in a mishap and was swathed in an array of casts and braces but had made the trip to watch the Trojans as he always did.
I called out two players in particular for poor play.
Dewaine proceeded to tell me about the abhorrent home situations the two players were products of and the domestic crises they had faced just a day earlier.
The importance of the football game faded. After understanding the bigger picture, I felt terrible for my comments of just minutes before.
Dewaine knew the big picture and knew when to share it.
On another occasion, I had been asked to eulogize a longtime family friend. I agreed and set about putting my thoughts to paper.
As the funeral hour drew near, I paced the choir room of my church. I had never been in a pulpit for any purpose other than to read a few verses of scripture.
I cracked open the door to sneak a peak into the sanctuary. A full half hour before the funeral, it was packed.
I had a severe case of the jitters.
At about that time, Dewaine Bell arrived in the room with his soprano saxophone. He was to perform at the funeral and was in the practice area to warm up.
He took one look at me pacing the room and asked what was wrong. I told him about the task before me and my apprehension.
A veteran, natural performer and gifted musician, Dewaine had graced many a stage, pulpit and lectern. He told me he always got nervous before a performance and that a little stage fright is natural.
His words calmed me.
Dewaine ran through a few bars of ‘When the Saints Go Marching In’ and confidently pronounced us ready to enter the sanctuary.
I was later congratulated by gracious funeral goers for my eulogy but was struck by Dewaine’s performance.
In addition to the piece he practiced, Dewaine, a black man, had stood in front of a nearly all-white crowd in an all-white church and delivered a masterful rendition of ‘Dixie’ as requested in the deceased’s last wishes.
I was blown away.
I was blown away again early Saturday when the phone rang with the news of Dewaine’s death. I knew he had been sick but did not know death was imminent.
When I first met Dewaine he was a high school band director with a big afro. His bands were topnotch.
Later he became principal at that same high school and did a wonderful job.
After leaving the education field, he became Barnesville’s municipal judge. He had the gift of meting out compassion when called for and discipline when demanded.
Later, Dewaine became the first black mayor in Barnesville’s long history and, again, proved himself up to the task.
He was a tireless ambassador for the community.
Earlier this year, a huge Chinese trade delegation was in town for the announcement of a significant new infusion of foreign capital into Barnesville’s economy.
Dewaine handled the visiting Chinese beautifully.
At a luncheon, he was encouraged to get his sax and entertain the crowd.
Once the sweet sounds poured from that soprano sax, the Chinese were transfixed. Dozens of digital cameras hummed as the visitors posed for pictures with the mayor as he played.
Elvis was never more idolized than Dewaine Bell was at that moment.
I caught his eye as he paused momentarily and a huge smile split his ever friendly face.
When I think of my departed friend, it is that smile I will remember.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said walter.

Who will ever forget that HUGE smile?

When Anne woke me early Saturday morning, I knew it was not good news. The phone had awaken me from sleep and I could hear muffed conversation in the other room. Then, quick footsteps toward the bedroom. When I raised my head, Anne was laying across the bed with her hands together as if in prayer. I will never forget her words: "Bill, Mayor Bell died this morning". I remember rolling over and first saying a prayer for his family, a second prayer for the City of Barnesville, and then prayer of thanks. Thanking God of allowing my path to cross with Dewaine Bell's. As with other tragic news, I will always remember when, where and how the news came.
Dewaine has truely left his mark on many, many people. I was proud of him and proud for him when he told Wusheng Chen; "I have served as ambassador to Barnesville on a local, state, and national level and now I'm going international!"

Saturday you did one better than international...Job Well Done Dewaine Bell!!

Bill Claxton

Capt. D. said...

Mr. Bell you haved helped my family alot over our short years my oldest son you took to rotery one day and axxed him about skateboarding. I being from the north did not understand what the Principal was saying Iunderstad now Mr. Bell took Chris out of class to give a program at Rotery .Atthe end of the program Mr. Bell gave my son a letter opener that was cerimonial .Not ever could a boy in 9th grade do that again. Mr. Bell and number 2 son sat loog hours together waiting for me or Mrs.
Show up Ithink that it Iknow it was hard for both of them Mr.Bell you won! You were present for all the Eagle Scouts in T17 You were with us for are Veterns returning from war . You helped me in my most dire needs . With nothing but a soft voice and a smile. Please excuce my typing soon you will be able to help me with it . But let my tears for you dry off first

Unknown said...

I think the reason Mr. Bell was such a good man was because of his parents. We formed a band when I was in High School to raise money for uniforms and end up traveling as far away as Saint Pete,Florida. I was only 14 or 15 years old. My parents didn't bat an eye, as long as I was with Mr.Bell. During this time I had the good fortune to meet and spend time with his parents and brothers. I can tell you they were the salt of the earth. I could go on and on, but I won't. I will truly miss him.

Clay Lovejoy
One of the many lives he touched

GILLRILLA said...

Yes Mayor Bell was A fine man. the people who knew him will tell you the world was a better place with him in it!............But why do we still have a picture of this fine american beside that red communist from china? What gives?